Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Mosque

Last week our interns began studying introductory Islam and read through the entire Koran. As a way of concluding the week, our team visited a local mosque for their holy day (Friday) sermon. It was my third time visiting a mosque, but I still enjoyed being in the foreign atmosphere. Out of respect for their holy place, shoes are removed outside the front door and women cover their heads. There are two separate doors of entrance, one for the men and older boys, and one for the women and children. Once entering, the women and men are entirely segregated by a large curtain. Attending mosque is mandatory for the Muslim men and optional for women. When I attended two years previously, the women were able to view the service on a tv monitor from their assigned room. I was disappointed to find that the monitor has since been removed for unknown reasons. The sound was rather muffled through the curtain and we only saw the four women who came to worship, but the experience ended well with the wonderful hospitality of an Islamic woman, originally from England, and her two little girls. She allowed us to ask her questions about her life and experiences as a Muslim. I found it fascinating to have a glimpse inside her life and I was very grateful for this added interaction. The imam (pastor) of the mosque spoke to our group for awhile, but it was very difficult for me to understand him through the heavy material between us. I fought feelings of frustration for that curtain and must admit I was happy to return to the sunlight out of doors.
Overall, I suppose I was most reminded of my strong sense of female independence as an American Christian woman, and how I might always feel rebellion toward forced submission, whether right or wrong. Never am I so aware of my freedom until I find myself in situations such as these where I am required to relinquish some of it. Yet I have also been given the freedom to experience these places with great hospitality from my hosts and for that I am most grateful.

No comments: